Friday, October 19, 2007

Soup Season




400 Best-ever Soups - by Anne Sheasby

I saw this book at a friend's house and just had to have my own copy. It is certainly soup season and there will be plenty here to keep me trying new things. I was amazed at the variety - all ethnicities, from cream soups to stews, seafood, meat, veggie - it is all here. This is one of the recipes I tried with this season's blackberries (very quick and yummy - my kids liked it as well). I've slightly adapted the recipe so it is faster to make.


Indian Beef and Berry Soup


1 ½ lb steak, sliced
3 T oil
1 medium onion, peeled/sliced
2-3 c beef stock
1 c blackberries or blueberries, slightly mashed
1 T honey
salt to taste

Saute the steak and onions in oil until meat is brown and onions are golden. Add the blackberries and enough beef stock to barely cover the meat. Stir in the honey and simmer the meat, covered, until it is very tender. If the berries are too tart add more honey to taste. Add salt and serve in bowls.

No comments: