Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Paul Pines


I listen to Paul Pines read poetry and excerpts from his latest novel at the Gulf of Maine Bookstore recently. I haven't read the book of poetry I bought (yet), but just finished the memoir, "My Brother's Madness". Sometimes memoirs are as much or more about those who people the author's life than the author himself. Pines does have a poetic eye and a wonderfully philosophic way of examining things (all the way down to particle physics roots), but I came away with such a strong attachment to the others in his book as well. I can't recommend this enough.

Take what pain, hope, sorrow, and madness there is in this world, pass it through the alembic of an educated sensibility and a deep, informed compassion, and you might be lucky enough to reach My Brother's Madness. Paul Pines has achieved just this: a story both profoundly personal and universal, an exploration of the trials of family, the breaking points in our psyche's powers, and yet the capacity of compassion to ride the worst of storms all the way home.

James Hollis, Ph. D., Jungian Analyst, and author of Why Good People Do Bad Things.

No comments: