Saturday, July 28, 2007

Phood for the Body - Corn and Spinach Souffle

Okay - the other evening I was mentioning two different recipes that I had gotten while I attended a cooking class - it was by the govenor of Pennsylvania's chef - and really thought that Terry might like them since they are vegetarian.....

#1:
Corn and Spinach Souffle

2 cups of whole kernel corn (fresh or frozen will do)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/3 c fine diced red bell pepper
1/8 c fine diced shallots
4 large eggs
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk
3 Tbls sugar
2 Tbls flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
ground black pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 350 F
Butter 8 - 4 oz ramekins (I've also done this in a small baking dish and it works just as fine)
Blend all ingredients but the red pepper, shallots, spinach and 3/4 c of the corn in a food processor until smooth.
Fold the remaining ingredients into the blended mixture
Fill the ramekins (baking pan) to right below the rim
Place in a water bath and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until center is set
Let cool 10 minutes then serve.

2 comments:

pj said...

I'm trying this tonight - I had spinach left over from last night's salad. Of course I had no shallots, peppers or baking powder though, ha. I put onion instead of shallots and did you know baking powder is just 2 parts cream of tartar to one part baking soda? I know, I know, I have cream of tartar but not baking powder? I forgot to replace the latter last time it ran out.

pj said...

this was very yummy, btw